Can a dentist fix a gum line?

If you have lost gum tissue, your dentist may suggest soft tissue surgery or gum grafting. Here, surrounding gum tissue or palate tissue is grafted and sutured to the gum tissue to cover the exposed root of the tooth. The treatment of gum recession depends largely on the cause of the condition. Mild cases of gum recession may improve with nonsurgical treatments, such as topical antibiotics, dental adhesives, or orthodontics.

However, in most cases, gum recession surgery is needed to fully correct the problem. Many general dentists and periodontists (gum specialists) can perform the gum contouring procedure. Before performing the procedure, ask your dentist about their knowledge and experience with the process.

Leave a Comment

All fileds with * are required